Turning 50 brought with it many self-realizations. The biggest of them was that I have just a few less years in life than I did during my 40’s. As I approached 50 I decided that it was time to do the things I’d wanted to, and become the person I wanted to be.
In the past 9 months I have; ended an 18 year relationship with pain medications, maintained an exercise 5+ days per week regimen, lost 10.2 pounds, paid down more than 1/2 of my total debt, secured two Trademarks and (of course) launched this website. To my surprise, each and every accomplishment came easily and naturally. Here’s the secret sauce of self re-creation;
1) Know what you want to keep, change and improve. Create a list of the following;
– The Best – There are things about you that make you unique and special. What are the things that positively define you, what are the things about you that you cherish and never want to change?
– The Bad – What would you like to correct? What things make you feel lesser about yourself? If they are within your control to change, list them here.
– The Good – What are the traits you see developing in yourself that you would like to nurture? What about you is beginning to blossom, and with more care and attention could flower?
Make your list, and look at it every morning and before bed every night.
2) Think about yourself holistically – Just as our work life intertwines with our personal life, our mind, body and spirit all weave together to create the “us” that the world sees. The mind, body and spirit define who and what we are, and each must be nurtured and […]